Accessible Page Links




Page Tools

Main page Content

History

Hatton Vale originated from an initiative by our earliest settlers eager for education for their children.  On 6 September 1880 a school was established in the private residence of Joseph Steffan.  Mr Thomas Williams was appointed teacher – he received no salary.  On 1 January 1881 a school was opened under the administration of the Department of Public Instruction being school no 390 in the State of Queensland.

With a growing enrolment and minimum space and a road that was impassable in wet weather, it became necessary to move the school to a different location. The school was moved and reopened, on the Warrego Highway opposite Summerholm Road.  It opened on 1 September 1905.

The school continued to grow and prosper and in 1995, construction commenced on the present site of Hatton Vale State School of a new $5.5 million school. The school moved from the Warrego Highway site with 120 students and started the New Year (1996) with 220 students at the current site. The growth in the Lockyer Valley has seen a steady increase in enrolments to 400 students.